How Goston became Treoes.
“Gos”, is found in many locations in England in and around marshy or water surrounded areas, for instance we have Gosford, Gosforth, Gosbeck etc., such areas were frequently surrounded by geese, probably of the wild variety, the name indicating a homestead or land rather than a settlement committed to rearing geese. The location of Goston in the Ewenny valley would have been similar.
About 1596/1600 there first appeared evidence of ‘Cymricisation’ (changing English names into Welsh), by the substitution of “Tref” at the start of a place name instead of “Ton” at the end. So Flemingston becomes Trefleming. The original pronunciation of Goston would be “Goeston” – preserving the long value in the vowel, so the Welsh form would have been pronounced Treos.
The process of Cymricisation was accelerated by the influence of the Welsh Methodist preachers who began to refer to Treos as Treoes, adding an additional ‘e’ to make the second part of the name ‘oes,’ meaning “lifetime or age. ”
Ty-Candy Mill was also built in the 17th century and has remained in the possession of the same family to date.
The Star Inn and Treoes Farm are Grade 2 listed buildings presumably built about this time, or even before.