In 2012 Saron Chapel was in a poor state. There was an increasing problem of damp, the windows were rotting and the future of the building looked grim. This was a great shame – especially since the Chapel had been founded by the residents of the village and had been at the heart of the community since 1831.
The members decided to take action and appointed Alwyn Jones Architects to act on their behalf. They also recruited local volunteers who would act as a Project Team and raise the funds to bring the Chapel back into a good state of repair.
The first step was to apply for the Development phase for a Grant for Places of Worship, operated by the Heritage Lottery Fund. This was successful and allowed time and money to then draw up more detailed plans, obtain all the necessary permissions and consents and to secure all the necessary match funding. Getting all the finance together wasn’t easy, but we managed it- and are hugely grateful to the following organisations:
The Heritage Lottery Fund – who’s support, advice, encouragement and finance have been absolutely brilliant. We have received over £18,000 from the HLF for the Development phase and a further £99,200 for the Delivery phase.
Cadw – who have provided support and a grant of £25,000.
The National Churches Trust – who provided a grant of £10,000.
Vale of Glamorgan Wales Churches Fund – who provided funds of £5,000
Garfield Weston Foundation – who also gave us a grant of £5,000
In addition, the members of the Chapel, often in collaboration with other groups in the village, notably the Allotment Association and the Community Hall Committee, have worked incredibly hard to raise funds through concerts, events, a local lottery, selling Christmas Cards and a host of other methods. Without their devotion and dedication this project could never have taken place.
Restoration of the Bible
As well as the full repair to the Chapel the funds through the HLF also allowed the restoration of a Peter Williams Family Bible which was associated with the establishment of Saron in 1831. The work was carried out superbly by Fabio from FC Bookbinder. You can see a short film of the process here: