History – Star Inn

Whilst Treoes once had 4 taverns, the Star Inn has remained an integral part of community life in the village.

During the 1960s Gwyn Evans became Landlord of the Star, taking over from Mr Rickson who had been Landlord for a short while after Colonel Clutterbuck.  Mr Evans was assisted by his daughter Linda, both of whom where larger than life characters, unknowingly funny and outspoken.

Not everyone was afforded a welcome at the Star. When prospective customers arrived late in the evening, they would be very loudly told “You’re not welcome, go back where you’ve been all night” and they were shown the door. Likewise the erstwhile innocent who had long hair was quickly despatched with no reason given just “Get Out!”

Local customers were happy as the Evans’s kept a good house and treated them fairly. Saturday night would be the highlight of the week, with a pianist to entertain, there was no need for Karaoke machines, the singing along to the piano was impromptu and everyone joined in – some of the locals , already mellowed by the ale, would give solo performances.

The pub was quite small (prior to 1983) so invariably it got very warm inside and the windows would have to be opened so that the entire village would throb with the sound of music and song coming from the Star.

The pub was divided into two rooms, the fireplace was an opening between the two rooms so that one fire served both rooms. Each year on this fire, around Christmas and New Year, a turkey would be spit roasted.  The smell of the roasting Turkey whetted the appetites of the drinkers. When the flesh was cooked to the Landlords satisfaction, the turkey would be removed from the spit, and carved to share amongst the now hungry drinkers.

Mr Evans had a budgerigar which would perch on the rail and descend on to Mr Evans’ shoulder while he served his customers.

Each Sunday morning, barrels were changed and Mr Evans had help to do this. One Sunday the helper swung the barrel around and as he did he hit the taps clean off, beer gushed out like a fountain and went everywhere. Mr Evans went beserk.  Thankfully the floors were not carpeted and once the flow had stopped it could be cleaned up easily and the taps were rapidly repaired so as not to disrupt trade, but at a cost.

There was certainly no underage drinking in the Star during the tenancy of Mr Evans, the young people of the village knew it was no good trying as it was suspected that he knew all their birth dates, and for those that he did not, he would demand to see their birth certificate before serving them their first drink in the Star.

 It was during Mr Evans’ time at the Star that the thatched roof went on fire for the second time in this century.  The photographs illustrate the crowds gathering to watch as the firemen put out the flames.  This fire was caused by a birds nest in the Star chimney becoming ignited fortunately a young Mike Llewellyn noticed the smoke and sparks coming from the chimney and the Fire Service was alerted before the fire had caused too much damage.

%d bloggers like this: